Andrew J. Bryant, MD
|MD||Wake Forest University School of Medicine|
|Residency||Vanderbilt University||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Vanderbilt University||Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine|
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
- Group III Pulmonary Hypertension (PH due to low oxygen and chronic lung disease)
- My lab studies the response of blood vessels within the lung to low oxygen levels, and how this may contribute to the development of high blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension), and heart failure, in patients with chronic lung diseases. We do so primarily through examination of how certain types of circulating white blood cells (monocytes/macrophages) confer increased risk to development of disease. Our goal is to discover molecular targets for drug discovery in this specific type of pulmonary hypertension.
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- American College of Physicians
Honors and Awards:
- 2006 – Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2011 – IPF Summit Conference Travel Award
- 2013 – ATS PHA Research Fellowship Grant
- 2013 – IPF Summit Conference Travel Award
- 2013 – IPF Summit Poster Award: First Place
- 2014 – ATS PHA Committee Abstract Award
- 2014 – University of Florida, Junior Faculty Research Award: First Place
- 2015 – University of Florida, Excellence in Research Award, Junior Faculty Category
- 2016 – Gilead Sciences Research Scholars Program in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- 2017 – Margaret Q. Landenberger Foundation Grant
Publications (2004 onwards):
- Bryant AJ and Scott EW. “A small leak will sink a great ship”: hypoxia-inducible factor and group III pulmonary hypertension. Receptors Clin Investig. 2016;3(1). pii: e1213. Epub 2016 Mar 14.
- Bryant AJ, Carrick RC, McConaha ME, Jones BR, Shay SD, Moore CS, Blackwell TR, Gladson S, Penner NL, Burman A, Tanjore H, Hemnes AR, Karwandyar AK, Polosukhin VV, Talati MA, Dong H-J, Gleaves LA, Carrier EJ, Gaskill C, Scott EW, Majka SM, Fessel JP, Haase VH, West JD, Blackwell TS, Lawson WE. Endothelial HIF signaling regulates pulmonary fibrosis-associated pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2016 Feb 1;310(3):L249-62.
- Bryant AJ, Robinson LJ, Moore CS, Blackwell T, Gladson S, Penner NL, Burman A, McClellan LJ, Polosukhin V, Tanjore H, McConaha ME, Gleaves LA, Talati M, Hemnes AR, Fessel JP, Blackwell TS, Lawson WE, and West J. Expression of mutant BMPR2 worsens pulmonary hypertension secondary to pulmonary fibrosis. Pulm Circ. 2015 Dec;5(4):681-90.
- Tanjore H, Degryse AL, Crossno PF, Xu XC, Jones BR, Polosukhin VV, Bryant AJ, McConaha ME, McMahon FB, Gleaves LA, Blackwell TS, Lawson WE. Beta-catenin in the alveolar epithelium protects from lung fibrosis following intratracheal bleomycin. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 187:630-639, 2013.
- Bryant AJ. Through a glass darkly. Archives of Internal Medicine. 172:985-6, 2012.
- Bryant AJ, Newman JH. Prostaglandin-mediated alcohol intolerance associated with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. CMAJ. 2012.
- Zvara DA, Bryant A, Veal M, Dull B, Hillegass G, McCoy TP, Kon ND. The degree of atherosclerosis in the descending aorta does not predict poor in-hospital outcome after surgery requiring cardiopulmonary bypass. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anes. 20:49-55, 2006.
- Zvara DA, Bryant AJ, Deal DD, DeMarco MP, Campos KM, Mansfield CM, Tytell M. Anesthetic preconditioning with sevoflurane does not protect the spinal cord after an ischemic-reperfusion injury in the rat. Anesth Analg. 102:1341-1347, 2006.
Please click here for a list of Dr. Bryant’s industry relationships.