Andres Pelaez, MD
Medical Director, Lung Transplant Program
Co-Director, Adult Respiratory ECMO Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
|MD||Centro de Estudios de la Salud|
|Residency||University of Texas Health Science Center||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Emory University School of Medicine||Pulmonary & Critical Care|
|Fellowship||University of Texas||Interventional Bonchoscopy|
|Fellowship||University of Texas||Lung Transplantation|
- Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Lung Transplant
- Respiratory failure
- Extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Evaluation of patients with end stage lung diseases
- Lung transplant
- I continue to pursue research interests with specific focuses in donor management, donor optimization and the evaluation of biomarkers that could potentially be predictive of donor viability as well as predictors of post lung transplant outcomes. The following summarizes my research projects to date in this area:
- Donor alcohol abuse and susceptibility of lung allograft to primary graft dysfunction
- Levels of receptor of advanced glycation end products (RAGE) as potential predictors of primary graft dysfunction following lung transplantation
- Oxidative stress in lung allograft recipients
- The International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA)
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care Medicine
Honors and Awards:
- 2004 Outstanding Trainee Award. American Federation for Medical Research Southern Section, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 2004.
- Awarded an American Thoracic Society Trainee Award to attend the ATS 2003 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, the 99th International Conference. Award for research, professionalism and medical care during fellowship.
- 2003 Outstanding Trainee Award. American Federation for Medical Research Southern Section, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 2003.
- Harrison’s award for the resident with the most impressive knowledge base of internal medicine in the class, 1998-1999, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas.
- A. Pelaez, P. O. Mitchell, S.D Force, Brown L, L Elon, Guidot D. The Role of Donor Chronic Alcohol Abuse in the Development of Primary Graft Dysfunction in Lung Transplant Recipients. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, Vol 349, No. 2, February 2, 2015.
- Timothy N. Udoji, S.D. Force, A. Pelaez. Severe mitral regurgitation unmasked after bilateral lung transplantation. Pulmonary Circulation. Vol 3, No. 3 September 2013
- Seth D. Force, A. Pelaez, David C. Neujahr, Allan M. Ramirez, Daniel L. Miller, E. Clinton Lawrence, Bilateral Lung Transplantation Offers Better Long-Term Survival, Compared With Single-Lung Transplantation, for Younger Patients With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Vol. 91, No. 1, pp. 244-249, 2011
- Shah, S.D. Force, P.O. Mitchell, E. Lin, E.C. Lawrence, K. Easley, A. Ramirez, D.C. Neujahr, A. Gal, K. Leeper, A. Pelaez. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Is Associated With an Increased Rate of Acute Rejection in Lung Transplant Allografts. Transplantation Proceedings. Vol 42, No.7, pp. 2702-2706, September 2010.
- Seth D. Force, A. Pelaez, David C. Neujahr, Allan M. Ramirez, Daniel L. Miller, E. Clinton Lawrence, Does Bilateral Versus Single Lung Transplantation Improve Long-Term Survival for Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. J of Heart Lung Transplant. Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. S112-S112, 2010
- D.C. Neujahr, A. Pelaez, S. Force, A. Ramirez, EC. Lawrence, A. Kirk Surgical correction of gastroesophageal reflux in lung transplant patients is associated with decreased effector CD8 cells in lung lavages: a case series” Chest June 3 2010.
- A. Pelaez, S. D. Force, P.M. Naik, E.C. Lawrence, A.M. Ramirez, D.C. Neujahr, A.A. Gal and P.O. Mitchell. Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products Expression in Lung Allograft Recipients with Primary Graft Dysfunction; American Journal of Transplantation, February 2, 2010.
- DC Neujahr, A.C. Cardone O. Ulukpo, M. Rigby, A. Pelaez, A. Ramirez, A.A. Gal, S.D. Force, E.C. Lawrence, A.D. Kirk, and C. P. Larsen. Dynamics of Human Regulatory T. Cells in Lung Lavages of Lung Transplant Recipients Transplantation. Aug 2009 27;88 (4): 521-7.
- Mitchell P, A. Pelaez, Jensen, J.S. Guidot D.M. Alcohol Primes The Airway for increased Interleukin – 13 Signaling and Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition Alcoholism: Alcohol: Clinical and Experimental Research May 2009.
- A. Pelaez, MD, D Neujahr MD, A Ramirez MD, S Force MD, GM Lyon MD, A Gal MD, EC Lawrence MD, Efficacy of Oral Ribavirin in Lung Transplant Patients with Respiratory Syncytial Virus. J of Heart Lung Transplant, January 2009.