Borna Mehrad, MD
Ethel Smith Research Professor and Chief
Division Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
TEL: Patient– 352.273.8740 Admin- 352.273.8735
|MD||University of Nottingham, United Kingdom||Medicine|
|Residency||Thomas Jefferson University Hospital & University of Texas Southwestern||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern||Infectious Disease|
|Fellowship||University of Michigan Medical Center||Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine|
|Fellowship||Schering-Plough Research Institute||Post-doctoral Research|
- Pulmonary Diseases
- Critical Care
- Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- American Heart Association Transformational Project Award (18TPA34170486), “Circulating fibrocytes as biomarkers of cardiac sarcoidosis,” Borna Mehrad, Principle Investigator; 7/1/2018-6/30/2021, annual direct costs $100,000.
- NIH/NIBIB, UOIEB024501, Modular design of multiscale models, with an application to the innate immune response to fungal respiratory pathogens; 2017-22.
- NIH/NIAID, ROIAI135128, Multi scale modeling of the battle our iron in invasive lung infection.
- Methods for treating and diagnosing fibrotic and fibroproliferative diseases. United States Patent No. 8216796 B2
- Compositions and methods for using and identifying antimicrobial agents. United States Patent No. 20160271220 A1.
Honors and Awards:
- Trainee Investigator Award, American Federation for Medical Research, 1999
- Department of Medicine Outstanding Teaching Award, UT Southwestern Medical Center, 2002
- Department of Medicine Mentorship Award, University of Virginia, 2012/2014
- Department of Medicine Research Award, University of Virginia, 2013
- American Society of Clinical Investigation, 2013
- Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians, 2015
- Voted “Attending of the Year” by Internal Medicine Housestaff, University of Virginia, 2016
- “America’s Top Doctors” in Pulmonary Disease, Castle Connolly, Ltd., 2015-2017
- Trimble A, Gochuico BR, Markello TC, Fischer R, Gahl WA, Lee JK, Kim K, Burdick MD, Strieter RM, Mehrad B. Circulating fibrocytes as biomarker of prognosis in Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 190(12):1395-401. PMCID: PMC4299649
- Mehrad B, Clark NM, Zhanel GG, Lynch JP 3rd. Antimicrobial resistance in hospital-acquired Gram-negative bacterial infections. Chest 2015; 147(5):1413-21. PMCID: PMC4420185.
- Michels K, Nemeth E, Ganz T, Mehrad B. The role of hepcidin in host defense against infectious diseases. PLoS Pathogens 2015;11(8):e1004998. PMCID: PMC4546197
- Oremland M, Michels K, Bettina A, Lawrence C, Mehrad B, Laubenbacher R. Computational model of invasive aspergillosis in the lung. BMC Syst Biol. 2016; 10(1):34. doi: 10.1186/s12918-016-0275-2. PMCID: PMC4839115
- Keeley EC, Marinescu MA, Burdick MD, Strieter RM, Mehrad B. Circulating fibrocytes as predictors of adverse events in unstable angina. Transl Res 2016;172:73-83.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.trsl.2016.02.013. PMCID: PMC4866880
- Bettina A, Zhang Z, Michels K, Cagnina RE, Vincent I, Burdick MD, Kadl A, Mehrad B. M-CSF mediates host defense during bacterial pneumonia by promoting the survival of lung and liver mononuclear phagocytes. J Immunol. 2016;196(12):5047-55. PMCID: PMC4893984
- Gomez DC, Mehrad B. Eosinophilic pneumonia associated with pirfenidone therapy. Eur Respir J. 2016. 48(4):1240-1242. PMCID: in process.
- Michels K, Zhang Z, Bettina A, Cagnina RE, Stefanova D, Burdick MD, Nemeth E, Ganz T, Mehrad B. 2017. Hepcidin-mediated iron sequestration is required for host defense against pneumonia. JCI Insight. 2017;2(6): e92002. PMCID: PMC5358492
- Complete list of publications: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/borna.mehrad.1/bibliography/40042958/public/?sort=date&direction=descending