Michael A. Jantz, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Interventional Pulmonology
|MD||University of Washington School of Medicine||Medicine|
|Residency||University of Washington School of Medicine||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine||Pulmonary Disease & Critical Care|
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Lung Cancer – Non-small cell & Small cell
- Thoracic Oncology
- Bronchoscopy and Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy
- Medical Thoracoscopy
- Pleural Effusions
- Asthma-Bronchial Thermoplasty
- Techniques for management of airway obstruction
- Outcomes following interventional pulmonary procedures
- Techniques for advanced diagnostic bronchoscopy
- Medical thoracoscopy
- Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction for emphysema
- Management of malignant pleural effusions
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians-Inducted 2001
- American Thoracic Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- World Association for Bronchology
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
Honors and Awards:
- 2014-2015: Master Clinician Award, University of Florida Department of Medicine
- 2012-2013: Master Clinician Award, University of Florida Department of Medicine
- 2012: Consumer Research Most Compassionate Doctor Award
- Co-Principal Investigator. First-of-its-kind study of oncolytic virotherapy for Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) using mouse models and human ex-vivo intralesional analyses. James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program
- Principal Investigator. Lung Volume Reduction Coil Treatment in Patients with Emphysema (RENEW) Study
- Principal Investigator. Bronchoscopic Intratumoral Chemotherapy for Small Cell Lung Cancer. University of Florida Cancer Center
- Development of integrated multi-modality optical imaging systems for noninvasive in vivo cancer diagnosis and real-time imaging-guided surgery. University of Florida Research Opportunity Fund
- Principal Investigator. Spiration IBV Valve Trial
- Principal Investigator. A prospective multicenter trial of the Alveolus self-expanding hybrid stent in malignant airway obstruction
- Advanced Postgraduate Program in Clinical Investigation K-30 training grant
- Principal Investigator. VENT: endobronchial valve for emphysema palliation trial
- Labarca G, Aravena C, Ortega F, Arenas A, Majid A, Folch E, Mehta HJ, Jantz MA, Fernandez-Bussy S. Minimally Invasive Methods for Staging in Lung Cancer: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Pulm Med. 2016;2016:1024709.
- Mehta HJ, Mohammed TL, Jantz MA. Lung RADS: Potential Drawbacks and Need for Revision. Chest. 2016 [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27521737.
- Biswas A, Jantz MA, Penley AM, Mehta HJ. Management of chronic empyema with unexpandable lung in poor surgical risk patients using an empyema tube. Lung India 2016; 33:267-71.
- Sciurba FC, Criner GJ, Strange C, Shah PL, Michaud G, Connolly TA, Deslée G, Tillis WP, Delage A, Marquette CH, Krishna G, Kalhan R, Ferguson JS, Jantz M, Maldonado F, McKenna R, Majid A, Rai N, Gay S, Dransfield MT, Angel L, Maxfield R, Herth FJ, Wahidi MM, Mehta A, Slebos DJ; RENEW Study Research Group.. Effect of Endobronchial Coils vs Usual Care on Exercise Tolerance in Patients With Severe Emphysema: The RENEW Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA; 315:2178-89.
- Biswas A, Jantz MA, Barnes MD, Mehta HJ. Management of Noncommunicating Multiloculated Pleural Space Infection With Fibrinolytic Augmented Multiple Chest Tube Drainage. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2016; 23:e14-7.
- Mehta HJ, Biswas A, Penley AM, Cope J, Barnes M, Jantz MA. Management of Intrapleural Sepsis with Once Daily Use of Tissue Plasminogen Activator and Deoxyribonuclease. Respiration 2016; 91:101-6.
- Folch E, Santacruz JF, Fernandez-Bussy S, Gangadharan S, Kent MS, Jantz M, Stather DR, Machuzak MS, Gildea TR, Majid A. The Feasibility of EBUS-Guided TBNA Through the Pulmonary Artery in Highly Selected Patients. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2016; 23:7-13.
- Mehta HJ, Begnaud A, Penley AM, Wynne J, Malhotra P, Fernandez-Bussy S, Cope JM, Shuster JJ, Jantz MA. Treatment of isolated mediastinal and hilar recurrence of lung cancer with bronchoscopic endobronchial ultrasound guided intratumoral injection of chemotherapy with cisplatin. Lung Cancer 2015; 90: 542-7.
- Mehta HJ, Begnaud A, Penley AM, Wynne J, Malhotra P, Fernandez-Bussy S, Cope J, Shuster JJ, Jantz MA. Restoration of Patency to Central Airways Occluded by Malignant Endobronchial Tumors Using Intratumoral Injection of Cisplatin. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015; 12:1345-50.
- Begnaud A, Connett JE, Harwood EM, Jantz MA, Mehta HJ. Measuring central airway obstruction. What do bronchoscopists do? Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015; 12:85-90.
- Mehta HJ, Malhotra P, Begnaud A, Penley AM, Jantz MA. Treatment of alveolar-pleural fistula with endobronchial application of synthetic hydrogel. Chest 2015; 147:695-9.
- Zori AG, Jantz MA, Forsmark CE, Wagh MS. Simultaneous dual scope endotherapy of esophago-airway fistulas and obstructions. Dis Esophagus. 2014; 27:428-34.
- Silvestri GA, Gonzalez AV, Jantz MA, Margolis ML, Gould MK, Tanoue LT, Harris LJ, Detterbeck FC. Methods for staging non-small cell lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2013;143:e211S-50S.
- Wingard JR, Hiemenz JW, Jantz MA. How I manage pulmonary nodular lesions and nodular infiltrates in patients with hematologic malignancies or undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation. Blood 2012; 120:1791-800.
- Wahidi MM, Jain P, Jantz M, Lee P, Mackensen GB, Barbour SY, Lamb C, Silvestri GA. American College of Chest Physicians consensus statement on the use of topical anesthesia, analgesia, and sedation during flexible bronchoscopy in adult patients. Chest 2011; 140:1342-50.
- Dallas JL, Jantz MA, Lightsey JL, Sonntag C, Kaye FJ. Successful erlotinib rechallenge after erlotinib-induced interstitial lung disease. J Thorac Oncol 2011; 6:1142-3.
- Nguyen MH, Leather H, Clancy CJ, Cline C, Jantz MA, Kulkarni V, Wheat LJ, Wingard JR. Galactomannan testing in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid facilitates the diagnosis of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in patients with hematologic malignancies and stem cell transplant recipients. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2011; 17:1043-50.