Richard B. Berry, MD
Professor of Medicine
Medical Director, UF Health Sleep Disorders Center
Sleep Medicine Fellowship Director
|MD||University of Florida College of Medicine|
|Residency||University of California Irvine College of Medicine||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Florida College of Medicine||Pulmonary Disease & Critical Care|
- Sleep Disorders
- Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Nocturnal Respiratory Failure
- Upper Airway Physiology
- Pharmacological Treatment of Sleep Apnea
- Mechanisms of Respiratory Arousal
- Auto Positive Airway Pressure Treatment
- Associate Editor, Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Chair Scoring Manual Editorial Board
- Sleep Research Society
Honors and Awards:
- 1973: BS Physics N.C. State – Graduated with High Honors
- 1978: Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 1983: Christmas Seal Fellow, Florida Lung Association
- 2010: AASM Award for Educational Excellence
- 4/2008 – 5/2013: R01AR055160-01 Sleep and Pain Interventions in Fibromyalgia: Hyperalgesia and Central Sensitization. National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Role: Co-investigator (5% effort)
Principal Investigator: Dr. Christina McCrae
- 2014-2015: Upper Airway Muscle Training for Treatment of Sleep Apnea
UF Gator Aid Pilot Research Grant
Publications (2003 onwards):
- Littner MR, Kushida C, Anderson WM, Bailey D, Berry RB, et al. Practice Parameters for the Dopaminergic Treatment of Restless Legs syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. Sleep 2004;27:557-559.
- Berry RB, Hayward LF. Selective augmentation of Genioglossus EMG activity by L-5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5-HTP) in the rat. Pharmacology Biochem Behavior.2003:74:877-882.
- Berry RB, White DP, Roper J, Fogel R, Pillar G, Malhotra A. The Awake Negative Pressure Reflex Response of the Genioglossus in OSA Patients and Normal Subjects. J Appl Physiol 2003:94:1875-1882.
- Berry RB, Kryger MH, Massie CA. A novel nasal expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) device for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trial. SLEEP 2011; 34:479-485.
- Berry RB, Budhiraja R, Gottlieb DJ, et al. Rules for scoring respiratory events in sleep: update of the 2007 AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events. Deliberations of the Sleep Apnea Definitions Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med. 2012; 8:597-619.
- Berry RB, Kushida CA, Kryger MH, et al. Respiratory Event Detection by a Positive Airway Pressure Device. Sleep 2012; 35: 361-367
- Berry RB, Sriram P. Auto-adjusting Positive Airway Pressure Treatment for Sleep Apnea Diagnosed by Home Sleep Testing. J Clin Sleep Med 2014;10:1269-1275.
- Berry RB, Wagner MH. Sleep Medicine Pearls, 3rd edition, Elsevier 2014
- Berry RB, Brooks R, Gamaldo CE, Harding SM et al. for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology, and Technical Specifications, Version 2.1, Darien Illinois: American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2014
Please click here for a list of Dr. Berry’s industry relationships.